Sunday, October 16, 2011

Namaste from India

I'm in India for three weeks on business.  It's only been one day officially but it's been quite the experience.  It's my first time here so it's been sensory overload (I think I'll sleep like a baby tonight).

One way to describe it would be that it is organized chaos.  There are so many people around but just as many cars, bicycles, rickshaws, and buses.  Drawn lanes on the road are mere suggestions as everyone goes where they can fit along with non-stop honking.  The max number of people I've counted in a motorized rickshaw was 10.  Anything goes.  There's a saying that once you can drive in Delhi, you can drive anywhere in the world and I believe it.  I don't know how it works, but it does.
As soon as the light turns to green, the honking begins.



View from the steps leading to Jama Masjid, India's largest mosque.
One of the famous places to eat close to the mosque... I can say I had non-hotel food now!  The chicken shish kabob was very good.

Lots and lots of butter

Pineapples

Popcorn

Yes, that's how close this bus came to me.

A father and daughter at Humayun's tomb

Indian Love Birds

Humayun's tomb





Field trip

There were a lot of stray dogs... This one was "guarding" this compound

Street kids playing criquet

A snake charmer who are actually against the law.  Two police officers were about 10 feet away...

India Gate - they had a celebration with a band there and a lot of military in different types of uniform


Apparently this guy was singing and it was a song to welcome us


1 comment:

  1. We're heading to India for a few weeks next month, too. We're totally looking forward to it. Hope you have a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...